Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Class of 2024

I had to do something last week that I'd been dreading for a few months. The school district posted the signs I believe before Christmas, stating that kindergarten registration would occur this week, and when I first read the signs, my heart dropped a bit. Could it really be time for my little guy to get signed up for kindergarten? Has it really been almost five years since he's blessed our lives?


For those who know me, I don't shy away from the fact that I feel pangs when it comes to milestones with Jeremy. I blame it on several things: he's my baby, he's my boy and it's the last time I'll get to experience these milestones. I have a hard time letting go, but that's just the way I've been for most of my life. I tend to hang on too long, just grasping at these feelings for one last time.


I really am trying to embrace the fact that my little guy is starting kindergarten in the fall. But it's hard. My kids are my life. I stay home with them, and that's what makes it harder in a way. I'm around them all the time. And that's perhaps why it's easier for me to let Riley grow up a little--I worked after she was born and then stayed home after Jeremy was born. Jeremy and I went through everything together--sleepless nights, colic, separation anxiety, potty training, preschool, you name it. And as much as I wouldn't change those experiences for anything, those special times with him make it harder.


I've already said that August 25 is going to be tough. He's going to be gone all day. (But don't worry--Jeremy is beyond excited, and Riley loves the fact that she gets to ride the bus with him and show him where he needs to go.) And I don't think it will fully hit me until the afternoon, since he's already at preschool three times a week but is home to have lunch and spend time with me in the afternoon until it's time to get Riley. Nobody said parenting is easy. And sometimes letting go is even harder.
Can you believe this little guy will be the Class of 2024?


No comments: