Thursday, October 6, 2011

Life with Two in School

Earlier this year when I signed Jeremy up for kindergarten, I was hit with a wave of sadness (as evidenced by my numerous posts about how I was coping with his impending full-day schooling). I wondered how sad I would be, knowing that I wouldn't have anyone around for most of the day. It made me prematurely miss the baby phase and how Jeremy starting school would signify another aspect of his independence.

(I still have to upload the pics from the first day of kindy, so bear with me.)

The first week was sad, there's no doubt. I would come home to an empty house, or when Phil would work from home, he'd go off and work and leave me be. I spent much of the first week just taking time for myself. 

And then it became fun! I could catch up on my DVR, I could rent movies from the library and watch them, I could go to Target and walk around without having to enter the toy area or worry about children getting tired and wining about when we could leave. Granted, I haven't been able to get a whole lot accomplished--I did have these grand plans of cleaning out some closets and doing a thorough cleaning of the basement. 

But I have made progress in other areas. My parents came out and helped me clean out the garden. I canned 4 full jars of pears, I've made jelly, I've cleaned up the office and sorted paperwork, I switched the kids' closets around and I've been freelancing more during the day. I was able to attend my first field trip with the kids when I traveled with J's class to the apple orchard. I've had lunch with both kids this week. And I've started running daily.


Overall, life is pretty good. And J is totally loving school, not that I had any doubts. I don't know what I was so worried about.

No comments: