Sunday, March 30, 2014

Happy 8th Birthday

Ah, another year passed, another year older. My baby is 8. On this day, eight years ago, he entered our lives kicking and screaming, yet we decided to keep him.

This year has definitely been a fun and exhausting one! It sure is different raising a boy than it is a girl. Whereas Riley would be content reading or coloring, Jeremy wants to be active. For Christmas, Santa brought him a hockey net, which has taken residence in our front room. So every morning, after Riley heads off to school, J and I play indoor hockey with our mini sticks. (Riley accidentally broke one of the sticks a few months ago, and you would have thought Jeremy broke a bone with how he screamed.)

Speaking of hockey, he enjoyed playing for an in-house team this fall/winter, and the entire family had so much fun. The highlight of his season was getting to play a scrimmage game at the Rockford Ice Hogs arena and slapping the hands of the players! He's really excelling in hockey and soccer--it will be a difficult time when we have to choose.

As for school, again, he's doing quite well. He's not so much into reading, but he's a strong reader and does very well in math. I've helped in his class several times this year, and his teacher only has the best things to say about him. I do laugh, though, because the class has nicknamed him "Bacon Boy" for his love of all things bacon. In fact, when he does his math and it asks for units for the problems, Jeremy usually writes "bacon." He has his first admirer in the class--McKenna is a big fan of Jeremy. We tease him about her, but he's asked us to not to that, so we try not to give him such a hard time.

Just like last year, Riley was trying to convince Jeremy that he wasn't officially 8 until the afternoon, since that's when he was born. I laughed when I realized she did the same thing last year. But she did write on her birthday card to him "From your loving sister, AKA Riley." You know, in case he didn't know which loving sister.

We celebrated with a birthday weekend with his party yesterday at Brunswick with 9 other friends (including his sister), and then today we went over to Papa and Nana's to celebrate with Uncle D and Jack. The weather cooperated, so we were able to enjoy some hockey outside. He received many Legos, the Mighty Ducks DVDs, money, and some bacon items. I believe it was a pretty good birthday weekend for him.

What else can I say about my baby boy? Each year that passes makes me happy and sad; I'm happy because I love seeing the person he's becoming, but I'm sad because it marks one more year that's passed. I love having a son and all that he represents--there's just a special bond between a boy and his mom. I cannot wait to see what great things will happen for him this next year.

I love you so much, my favorite little guy. Happy birthday, sunshine.

And now for Jeremy through the years:



At the hospital
3 months
6 months
9 months
1 year old
18 months
2 years old
2.5 years old
3 years old (and sick)
3.5 years old
4 years old

 


5 years old
6 years old



Photo: Wishing my crazy, loving, athletic, bacon-loving boy a happy 7th birthday today.
7 years old and wearing his birthday party crown 

Photo: Happy 8th birthday to my bacon-obsessed, hockey-loving son. We love you!
8 years old waiting for his birthday bacon
    

No comments: