Saturday, October 30, 2010

Great-Grandpa

With our crazy schedules, sometimes it's nice when things just happen to work out. Case in point: Sunday. Let me backtrack...a few weeks ago my mom went to visit my grandpa and noticed that he wasn't himself. She used her wonderful nursing experience and decided to take him to the ER. Turns out his hemoglobin was low, he was extremely full of excess fluid, his kidneys were beginning to shut down and he had congestive heart failure. The doctors and nurses removed close to 20 lbs of excess fluid (!) from him, and he recovered in the hospital.

The next course of action was to take him to a nursing home so he could begin physical and occupational therapy. My mom went down to see him this weekend, and my dad offered to go down for the day and wanted to know if I would like to join him. Seeing as all our activities tend to take place on Saturdays, it was nice to have a Sunday free. So I took him up on the offer.

We met up at a local mall, so I could ditch my car and ride along with Dad. And it was a wonderful visit. We made it down to see grandpa in about 2 hours, and found Mom walking over to the nursing home. She accompanied us and got Grandpa out of bed and into a wheelchair. We had a nice 2+ hour time with him, some of which we enjoyed outside since it was a beautiful day. Although we did get attacked by numerous ladybugs!

Overall Grandpa is doing OK. His mind is fully there, but he's physically exhausted. Not that I can blame him for being 93 and all. I'm glad I went with to visit -- with our schedules the way they are, sometimes it's difficult to have time to do anything except follow what's on the calendar. I know how blessed I am to have grandpa in our lives -- the kids are at an age where they will remember him being a part of their lives. And it's always nice to get away from being a parent for a few hours and be daddy's girl again. :)

No comments: