Thursday, November 25, 2010

Feeling Thankful

Last week at school, J's teacher's asked him what he's thankful for. Now, most kids replied that they were thankful for their houses, their moms or even their toys, my little guy replied: carrots from the garden. And then tonight at dinner he expanded and included all vegetables. Riley replied that she's thankful for health and food. Guess next time we should ask the kids after dinner!

And now what am I thankful for? Glad you asked.

*My family. Hands down, my family is the most important thing to me. Whether they're living in my house or halfway around the world, every one of them means something important to me. Although sometimes family drives me crazy, at the end of the day, I thank God for each one. My parents have taught me so much during my 30+ years, and keeping family as the most important thing in your life is something I hope to pass on to my kids.

*My friends. At times, I'm not a very good friend. I let days pass without returning phone calls. I sometimes take them for granted. But those few who I've kept close enough to communicate with on a constant basis are my lifeline. They're the ones who get me through the difficult days I sometimes have. They're the ones I boast to about the kids' accomplishments. They're the ones I can vent to. I love them all.

*My house/neighborhood. When we moved to our neighborhood 5 years ago, I had no idea the lasting friendships that would form and the friends that my kids would make. My parents still live in my childhood home, and I envied the neighbors that they have. The people that would wave whenever you made eye contact outside. But now, we have that in our neighborhood, and I couldn't be happier. The only downside is not seeing everyone as often as we did when the weather was nicer and the sunlight made the days longer. Thankfully we get together every so often for neighbor night, where the adults get to mingle and the kids get to play.

*My job. I love the freedom I have with my job. I'm blessed to have two lucrative freelancing gigs right now that give me the flexibility to work from home yet not stress myself out too much by putting in too many hours. I love that we're able to afford me staying at home and not having to send the kids to daycare/after school care. I love that I can get Riley off the bus every day. I love that I can help out at her school.

Other random things that I'm thankful for:

*Apple cider donuts
*Electric blankets
*Being the first patron to read a newly released library book
*Eating dessert after the kids are in bed
*Reading the newspaper in the morning
*Playing Uno with Jeremy while watching hockey highlights
*Listening to Riley read
*Watching Riley curl her tongue when she's concentrating on homework
*Seeing Jeremy twirl his hair when he's tired
*The husband making me popcorn
*Said husband allowing me to put my constantly cold hands on his arm/back/stomach/face
*Walking outside in the summer without socks or shoes on
*Harvesting food from our garden and eating it fresh
*Hockey. Plain and simple
*Instant messaging with family members
*My cat who constantly curls up with me while I work
*Hackney's onion rings, Luke's french fries and DQ Blizzards

What are you thankful for?

No comments: