Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Number 7

My little girl turned 7 today. I know I say this ever year, but where did the time go? Where is my little child who had such a hard time nursing that her dad had to feed her with a syringe? Where is the little child who carefully walked while holding my hand? Where is my little girl who was wide-eyed when her brother entered the world and insisted on holding him every chance she got?

She's still here, but now she's reassuring us that she can do things herself. She tells us -- sometimes while rolling her eyes -- that she can take care of herself and doesn't need our help. And as much as it pains us as her parents sometimes, it's true. Our little girl has become an independent child. And now she's 7.

We spent dinnertime yesterday reminiscing about what we were doing 7 years ago. We were at the hospital, and, depending upon the time, Phil was either watching the Packers/Bucs game or The Wizard of Oz. I said that Uncle Kevin and Aunt Mandy were there, as were Papa and Nana. They all left about 9 that night, since it looked like our little child would wait until the next day to make an entrance.

And she did, which surprised the heck out of me that the child I had was a girl. And of course Phil was over the moon because he knew that I was having a girl. We told Riley this, and then we asked her who was the first family member other than Mom or Dad to hold her. She gave the right answer: Uncle D. He was working at the hospital at the time and came to give me my meds (he was a pharmacy tech).

Our little girl is 7. We celebrated over the weekend with a little party for her friends, and then today Phil took 1/2 day so we could celebrate as a family. Both sets of grandparents called as did Uncle Kevin and family. She even received a package from Uncle D and Casey. We went out for ice cream to celebrate the special day, and capped it off with both Mom and Dad tucking her into bed.

Seven years old seems like a lot. I cannot wait to see what changes will happen to her this year. As hard as it is sometimes to see her grow up and miss what she used to be, it's just as exciting to see what she will become. We love you, Riley. Happy birthday, sweetheart.

7 years ago yesterday:




7 years ago today:



6 years ago today:

5 years ago:


4 years ago:


3 years ago:



2 years ago:


Last year:

This year:

No comments: