Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Last Days

Tomorrow marks my little man's first day of all-day kindy. I've lamented many a-time on how hard it's going to be for me. I've tried to not think about the reality of it--I've purposefully filled our last few days chalked full of stuff to keep the kids busy and to let me enjoy every last bit of them. And it's worked. For the most part.

Riley's first day of school was today, and she was up at 6:30 to start the day. Luckily she went back to sleep for a little bit, but we heard them excitedly talk about the day this morning. She couldn't wait to get back into the swing of things, and I can't blame her. She enjoys school, loves to learn, is an avid reader and excels in math. I have no doubt she'll exceed again this year.


Last night, while tucking Jeremy in, we had this conversation:

Me: So tomorrow's your last day at home with me.
J: I'm moving?
Me: No, I meant that it's your last day before school. Do you want to move out?
J: Not yet. Maybe in 3 months.
Me: So around Riley's birthday?
J: No. How about 100 months?
Me: OK, so when you're 12?
J: Yes. Wait, I'll just stay here forever.
Me: What about when you have kids?
J: You live at home until you're a parent. Then you have to move.

*sigh* My boy. So insightful. :)

I have no doubt he will succeed in school. He has 3 kids in his class that he knows of, which I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. They're all 3 boys, too. His teacher seems great, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about his first day.

It's just going to be awfully quiet around here. You know, in between my sobs. :)

No comments: