Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bragging Rights

A few weeks ago, we received a letter in the mail about Riley. It seems based on her MAP test and OLSAT test scores, she scored in the 99th% for the entire country. Not just the school. Not just the state. But the country! And this was for math AND reading! So she qualifies for the Gifted and Talented program for 3rd grade. This is a HUGE deal, and we couldn't be prouder of her.

I went to the meeting about it, and it sounds like it will definitely be a lot of work, but Riley should definitely thrive. Two of her friends from preschool (Lauren and Silvie) qualified as well, so it was nice to have some familiar parents to talk with. The math program sounds fantastic--kids will start with 4th grade math and just skip over 3rd grade! And the reading should be interested because the school was selected to be a pilot program and have all students use computer tablets to complete reading assignments. Wow!

As a result of all these new developments, we opted to not have Riley try out for travel soccer. The new school has an earlier start time, and we don't know how well or quickly she will adapt to these advanced classes. She can always try out next year. So that will save us some money! Ha! But she is going to play with her former coach in Crystal Lake, so at least she'll need to still balance school and sports.

Phil and I are just so happy and proud of her. I told him "you're welcome" after finding out about Riley's results. Only kidding. She's definitely our smart little cookie. And we love her.

Our girl before her school concert.

1 comment:

pve design said...

Wonderful. How incredible to find out your daughter is so gifted and talented....but I bet you already knew that. Math skills are huge in my house but no one got the gene from me. ha ha. I can draw anything, paint anything and cook and clean just anything....but math - I was always scared of numbers. Good thing my husband excels at math. Lucky me.
pve