Saturday, July 28, 2012

Not All Sunshine and Roses

I know in my last post I mentioned how I would be missing the kids once this summer is over. And it's true. I lamented to my mom today that I have no idea how she was able to get things done when my brother and I were home from school. My mom has always been a woman in motion, even to this day. She and Dad were over today, and while outside looking at our garden, she began weeding!

There have been times this summer that have been rough. Right when summer began, the kids and I went to the pool with Grandma when she was up for a visit. The following day, Jeremy didn't feel well. I chalked it up to too much sunshine. For the next five days he was very ill. I had never seen him so sick, and this is taking into consideration a time when he almost had bronchitis and pneumonia. He threw up and had diarrhea during those five days. He was puking up water, and at one point he threw up seven times on the way to the bathroom. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, and I did both. Every day we thought he was getting better, and then he'd relapse. 

The fifth day was the first day of Bible school, and I finally ended up getting him into the doctor. The doctor asked a few questions: Have you been to a public pool recently? And if so, did he drink the water. The answer to both was: Yes. Turns out Jeremy had rotovirus, which is a bacteria that affects the intestines. The smell that came out of that poor boy was toxic, and it made both of us gag. Luckily the virus left his poor body right after the doctor's visit, but it was a rough few days.

And then Miss Riley. The four of us were sitting in the living room about two weeks ago, all doing our own thing. Riley and Jeremy were sitting on the couch reading, I was answering some emails and Phil was working on his computer. All of the sudden Riley flips out and starts screaming. We all tried to calm her down and get her to explain what happened. Jeremy starts crying because he's scared, and by this time Riley is inconsolable. I convince her to try to go take a shower to calm down, but she doesn't want to. She keeps grabbing her ear saying there's something in her ear. We're finally able to look in her ear and tell her we see nothing. 

I end up taking her upstairs, and on the way up, I see the culprit on the wall: a wasp. Turns out the poor girl was bitten by a wasp on her ear. We have no idea how that happened, considering we were all inside and Jeremy was sitting right next to her. Nobody heard a bee buzz by. Luckily the stinger wasn't still in her ear--I can only imagine what a disaster that would have been.

Other than that, we're just dealing with the day-to-day aspects of parenting kids and dealing with the summertime blues. The kids are outside kids, and luckily we've had a bit of a break in the weather, so we've been able to venture outside a bit more. The kids are still super involved in sports, which is helping them to run off some energy. It's hard to believe there are only 3.5 weeks left until school starts!
 

No comments: