Monday, December 24, 2012

Feeling Thankful

It seems as though every year is full if its own hardships and challenges, and this one hasn't disappointed in that regard. I'll share more with my year-end review, but there were highlights, of course, that mainly included a new member of our family: Jack.

LOVE the look on his face!
But with Christmas just a few hours away, I'm reminded how truly important family is. This the first Christmas that we're not celebrating with my mom's extended side of the family, and it's weighing a little heavy on me. I'm a stickler for tradition, and this stings a little. Grandpa left us Dec. 11 last year, and we were able to get together as a group for his memorial service and burial. It's weird to not make the trip down to central Illinois this year.

However, I'm so very grateful to have my brother, my beautiful sister-in-law (who just started a blog on motherhood, yoga, and life in general, so check it out here) and my adorable nephew living in the same country and the same state. We've made an attempt to see them once a month, and some months that works out better than others.

I'm grateful for family in general. The husband has definitely been my rock, and I try to remind him how important he is to us. It's definitely been a trying year for him personally, and it just has reaffirmed to me what a strong family man he is. He has a nurturing soul, and I'm proud to call him mine. We've been trying to make time to spend together, but as we've found, sometimes life gets in the way. I'm hoping to make that more of a priority next year.

The kids, ah the kids! With Sandy Hook fresh in our minds, I just want to grab them and hold onto them forever. Sure, like in my last post, certain days and certain children can prove more challenging than others, but I know I will miss days like this. I know time is fleeting and with every passing day, they are growing and gaining more independence. They don't even want bedtime stories anymore; they would rather read on their own. They need me less and less, and at times it tears at my heart. But it's part of growing up, and I don't want to stifle them. Being a mother is the most challenging but rewarding job I could every imaging having.

We do have a lot to be grateful for, and we've tried as a family to do good, especially in the holiday season. For the 4th straight year, we donated food for Riley's birthday, and this year we topped 100 pounds of food! The director at the food pantry actually remembered Riley from last year. At church, we donated money for Bibles to be given to those who are incarcerated. We helped out the Chicago Sun-Times and their letters to Santa and provided a gift to a 3rd grade boy in the inner city. And then today Phil took the kids to Starbucks for some hot chocolate, and he found that the car in front of him in the drive-thru paid for his food, so he paid it forward to the car behind him. The woman working at the window said that the husband was the 10th car to pay it forward.

So for all the trying times of the year, I'm so grateful for what we have and what we can give others. Merry Christmas.

.

No comments: