Monday, October 6, 2008

Horsing Around

Yesterday we attended a birthday party for a daughter of dear friends of ours. She turned four, and her family had the kids' party at an equestrian stable. Their daughter has a syndrome called Joubert Syndrome, and to help her gain balance, she's been riding horses now for 1.5 years.

My kids, especially Riley, were beyond excited to ride a horse. In fact, it's all they had been talking about for the last week or so. "How many more sleeps until Bella's birthday party?"

The kids with the birthday girl.

Riley was one of the first kids to mount the horse. They had horses and ponies for all the kids; there were 4 children riding at a time. Each child was supposed to have 10-15 minutes on the horse, but I think Jeremy was gypped a bit; his was more like 5 minutes. Poor kid.

Riley on the horse.

Riding off, away from Dad.


But Jeremy did get on the horse, and since parents weren't allowed near the horses, I watched from afar as my little guy grew a bit more independent right before my eyes. I don't think I'm helping him not be a Mama's boy so much.

My big man, all by himself.

Look at me, Mom!

Overall we had a nice time. There were plenty of kids there, some more well behaved than others, of course. It was our first experience with a true kids' party where both of our kids were invited. No offense to our friends, but it made us realize that one more regular family party for Riley is the way to go for her birthday this year. It might be the last year we can get away with it! Which reminds me, I better start thinking about Riley's party. It will be here before I know it.

1 comment:

mikedawnsnelgrove said...

5! Can I say 5 again! I can't believe our girls will be 5!