Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Weekend Recap

Nevermind that it's Tuesday, and I'm just now updating. Ah, good times.

Friday Phil took the day off, and Riley didn't have school, so while I was busy packing for my weekend away from the kids, Phil took the kids over to the library. In celebration of some sort of fire prevention week, the fire department sent an ambulance and fire truck there. The kids were beyond excited; Jeremy moreso than Riley.

Riley inside the ambulance.

Jeremy joins Riley inside the ambulance.

Posing outside the fire truck.

They returned, outfitted with their new fire hats and bubbling with enthusiasm. It was rather cute.

I left shortly after lunchtime for Milwaukee--my first of two nights away from the kids. I was a little apprehensive traveling by myself, something I hadn't done since college and I had to travel for my part-time job. Back then, I was carefree and didn't have concerns about being in an unfamiliar town by myself. I think I've been spending too much time as a mom, not getting out much.

I met up with my girlfriend who was getting married and the rest of our party that evening. We were having a mini bachelorette party for the bride-to-be, and we had a great time. Of course I didn't take any pictures.

Saturday I woke up early, especially for not having kids or a husband to disturb my slumber! I was actually up at 7:30. I meandered downstairs for the continental breakfast, and then what did I do? I spent the next 5 hours before Phil arrived via Amtrak freelancing. Seriously. How sad is that?

Phil arrived around 3, and we went to the reception at 6. The wedding was family-only at the bride's parent's house, and the reception was fantastic. I failed to remember my camera for the reception as well. Trust me, it was a great time, even capped off with my downing a shot of whiskey with the groom! And the groom even thanked us for coming. I actually thanked THEM for inviting us and giving us a chance to get away.

We returned to the kids before lunch on Sunday--of course we woke up by 8 on Sunday. Yeah, we're living on the edge. The first time away from both kids, well, ever, and we didn't even fully sleep in! But I missed the kids, and we missed our own bed, and I'm sure my parents missed us, as they were the ones who watched the kids. My dad commented that the kids move from one activity to the next so quickly. I reminded him that he DID raise two kids not so long ago. But he did comment that Jeremy is one of the most polite kids. That made me proud. We joined my parents for lunch, and then headed home.

Overall, it was great to get away. But it was even better to be back in my own bed Sunday night.

1 comment:

LynnMSH said...

Woo hoo! 8:00 is out of control! I'm so glad you had a nice time. The alone time with Phil makes it even better. :)