Friday, November 7, 2008

Girlfriends

This week has flown by, and I blame most of it on the unseasonably warm weather. The beginning of November and I had my kids in shorts and sandals. What can I say, I'm a sucker for beautiful temperatures. Now we're back to the harsh reality of the Midwest with the threat of snow tomorrow. Ick.

Riley has off of school today for parent/teacher conferences at the elementary schools. Since her preschool follows the district's school schedule, she's home with us today. And terrorizing her brother and the cats, not necessarily in that order.

As for me, I'm having a week of reconnecting with girlfriends. It started on Sunday when my college roommate found me on Facebook. One of my girlfriends from high school persuaded me to join about a month ago, and it's been enjoyable to locate people I've lost touch with over the years. Anyway, my roommate arranged for us to have lunch with our third roommate, who was in my wedding seven years ago. I lost touch with both girls, and I was so grateful to have them find me again. We had lunch in the city, catching up on the last few years of our lives. It was interesting to see us, so many years later, each in different stages of our lives. Me with two kids, one roommate recently married and the other still enjoying single life in the city. Who would've thought?

And then tonight I'm meeting a close girlfriend for the very first time. Thanks to technology we've become great friends online, and I'm sure this face-to-face meeting can only strengthen our friendship (and if it doesn't, you're not allowed to tell me that!).

I know I don't oftentimes think of myself first (or even second or third) when it comes to my family. But this week I have, and let me tell you that it sure is wonderful to have times with girlfriends. I think it makes me appreciate my family that much more.

No comments: