Monday, November 17, 2008

Happy Birthday, Birthday Girl

I've been feeling melancholy all day today. Five years ago today I entered Mommyhood for the first time. My life changed completely; some days better than others. The little girl who entered the world only to be given antibiotics since I ran a 101.9 fever during delivery is now a sassy five year old. No longer a baby. No longer a toddler. Almost a kindergartner.

We all have our days, and days with Riley are never dull. She struggles with wanting to be able to do activities well and correctly. She wants so badly to read now, but she struggles with it and gets easily frustrated. She loves coloring, activity books, games, cards, you name it. Of course most of this stuff has to be done when Jeremy's not around, as evidence by him already throwing all her checkers over the house today.

She's my little helper, always wanting a hand in things, "helping" Jeremy with stuff and wanting to cook in the kitchen. I love that about her, even if sometimes in hinders the process or Jeremy doesn't want to cooperate. There have been far too many times I've asked her to help me out with something, and she does it willingly.

This has been a challenging year in a lot of areas, but through it all, she loves her brother immensely, oftentimes telling me that he's her best friend. Today, while out getting an ice cream treat (than you Baskin Robins!), she shared her scoop with him, and he said, "Happy birthday, I-ree." She leaned over and gave him a hug, and said, "Thank you, bud."

It's hard to believe it's been five years since she entered our lives. These last 2.5 years with her at home, I've had a chance to watch both kids grow, molded by what I've taught them. I'm so proud of Riley and the girl she's turned into. I love her with all my heart.

Thank you one and all for all Riley's brithday wishes today, from whatever avenue. We've had phone calls (one from Lebanon!), postings on message boards, cards, and emails. Riley was so touched (as was I) that so many people wanted to wish her a wonderful day. We're truly blessed.

So without further fanfare, here's Riley through the years:

5 years ago yesterday:




5 years ago today:



4 years ago today:


3 years ago:


2 years ago:


Last year:



And here she is now:


Today, birthday #5:

1 comment:

Lucky1304 said...

Happy birthday, Riley!! Wow, I can't believe how big you're getting. :)

Natalie