Sunday, December 21, 2008

What We've Been Doing

Before the hustle and bustle of Christmas fully engulfs us, I guess I should post some pictures as to what the kids (and the rest of the family) have been up to this month. It's crazy to think that it's pretty much time for Christmas, as evidence by yesterday's first of five Christmas gatherings/celebrations we have going on this year. But that's for another post.

J wearing Daddy's hat.

Riley wanted in on the picture, too.

We started our baking earlier this year, due to a Christmas celebration with some dear friends the first Saturday of December. The kids were as excited as I was, and we spent an entire week baking after each lunchtime. Whether it was Chex Mix or something chocolate-based, both kids (and mom) were ready to help clean up the batter.

Both kids with their aprons.

Jeremy enjoying some batter.

Riley wasn't quite as messy.

We celebrated Nana's birthday a few days after the fact due to another one of Chicagoland's wonderful snowy, gusty days. Papa and Nana came out after a long day of seeing Papa's sister graduate from grad school. Nana came prepared: ready to read books and assist the kids in decorating sugar cookies. We were thinking of D during this, as it was a task he so enjoyed.

It's cookie time!

And if you didn't believe me, this was right after Riley was born in 2003.
Probably the last time D helped make Nana's cookies. Am I right?


We celebrated with some delicious chocolate cake with chocolate icing, and Nana opened her presents. They couldn't stay long, but we had a nice time regardless.

Nana reading one of Jeremy's favorite books: Diego. It's a book
made by my old work that we bought at Goodwill for 59 cents!


The next day, we loaded up the family truckster and bought our Christmas tree. We're old school and do it the real tree way. There's no other alternative for our family. Even for me, the biggest cold-weather hater! We think that in a few years we'll go chop down our own tree since there are plenty of places in our neck of the woods. Everyone's been enjoying the tree, especially the cats, which we're constantly chasing away from its trunk. Reminds me of 2003 when the cats actually knocked the tree (and water) over, all over the carpet. Ever since, the tree has found its home on wood floors.

Our beautiful tree.

The kids by the tree.

The rest of the month was spent shoveling out of the gobs of snow. I'm trying to find a bright side to the obscene amounts of snow, and it's rather difficult. I guess the nice part is that the kids enjoy it. And it's even better if the kids can enjoy it when Dad is home. But the first real snowfall we received, Dad was at work. So I enlisted the kids to help me shovel, which they happily agreed to do. Of course they also insisted on pelting me with snowballs.

Riley loves to shovel!

Look at her go!

I still can't believe December is almost over. I hope you're all staying warm if you're anywhere in the Midwest. If you're elsewhere, can you send some warm weather our way? Please?

A rare photo of me and my boy.

Keeping warm with Dad. The blanket was made
by Phil's late grandmother and is SO warm!


The boys right before their haircuts.
Which reminds me I need an "after" picture.

No comments: