Friday, August 7, 2009

Big News!

Riley can officially read.

It's a proud day in the C household, especially since this Mom works in the editing/writing industry. I've always tried to show Riley (and Jeremy) how important reading is. Case in point, we were at the two libraries in our area three times this week. (And it had nothing to do with the fact that summer is winding down and we're running out of things to do...)

She sees me reading the newspaper in the morning. She sees me check out books from the library, and she's always asking me if I have a book on hold. We read each child a bedtime story, and I've been trying to get the kids to sit still to have a little reading session in the afternoon. Sometimes it's a losing battle, but it's nice to know the kids realize how important books and reading are.

Yesterday Riley picked up an easy reader book that we had checked out from the library. She was surprised that she knew almost every word in the book. So she read it for Phil when he came home. She wanted to read that same Mickey Mouse book today, and, I kid you not, Jeremy picked up the book after she did and read the entire thing. Granted his "reading" was more memorizing than anything, but it was still cute.

Today she picked a different, more difficult book. She had never read this book before, and I'd say she knew about 75% of the words. We made phone calls to both sets of grandparents in the evening, and then I wrote on the calendar: Riley can read. And wouldn't you know, she read that, too.

Life will never be the same. But then again, we've been waiting for this for awhile. Mark my words: Jeremy will be reading before he's 5. That's my guess. And now it's in writing.

2 comments:

Lynn H said...

Hoooray! That's fantastic. Congratulations, Riley. :) Mommy's friend Lynn from Michigan thinks you are very cool!

mikedawnsnelgrove said...

My goodness Riley! What a summer....riding a two-wheeler, swimming in the deep end and now reading! You are amazing!