Monday, December 7, 2009

Blackhawks!

So it's been awhile since I posted anything, so many apologies about that. Life gets in the way. It happens every year after Riley's birthday--I don't have enough time to take care of much of anything.

On top of the chaos, our camera died, which was pretty much a blessing. I had been getting more and more annoyed with our camera, with the batteries not lasting long enough to capture anything. We splurged and bought it a week before Riley's birthday, which just so happened to be the weekend that Phil had a surprise for me.

In his defense, it's difficult to keep surprises from me. I'm always pestering him with questions once I find out there's a secret being kept from me. And for the first time that I can remember, I was able to figure out what he had in store. Our conversation was a bit like this:

Me: Why do we need to go to my parents?
Phil: Because your dad has something for us.
Me: Why can't we go Sunday morning?
Phil: Because your mom wants to see us, too.
Me: But she's at grandpa's.
Phil: She's coming back early.
Me: Why? She's going to see us next week for Riley's birthday.
Phil: Like I said, your dad has something for us.
Me: How big is it? Why does he have to give it to us now?

So I think I wore him out. I did guess that we were going to the Blackhawks game, mainly because it was going to be Jeremy Roenick Heritage night, and I SO wanted to go. Phil remembered earlier in the season how important the game would be to me, and he went out and got tickets. My parents ended up watching the kids, and Phil and I had a fantastic time!

I'm sure everyone reading knows by now that we named Jeremy after Roenick, as I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. So it was about due time that the Hawks honored him. The Hawks were playing the Sharks, which was J.R.'s last team. Here's the write-up on the game, which, at the time, was the largest crowd of the season. Apparently the kids tried to find us on TV while they were at Papa and Nana's, but they didn't see us.

J.R. highlights on the jumbo screen before the game.

More of J.R.

The pre-game skate.

This was as close as I got to J.R. He's just a glimmer.

Time to clean the ice.

Looks like we're going to overtime!

A rare photo of the two of us. My dad
lent me his J.R. jersey for the game.


What's that? A Blackhawks OT win?!

Scored by the offensive threat (kidding) D-man Brent Seabrook.


No comments: