Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 in Review

Currently my lovely husband is snoring on the couch. On New Year's Eve. And it's 8:45 in the evening. That's a little sad, dontcha think? Good thing I love him.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I let go of my little guy and sent him off to preschool and sent my daughter off to kindergarten. It was a difficult transition, as they are my buddies during the day. But I've found that it's nice to have the one-on-one time with Jeremy, and Riley and I need the separation some days.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't think I made any last year. I'm not big into resolutions, but in 2010 I'd like to make more time for myself and not feel guilty for wanting to do so. And lose a few pounds.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My cousin gave birth to Samuel on Jan. 2. They made their town's newspaper as being one of the first births of the year.

4. Did anyone close to you die? My great-aunt passed away in November. That was difficult to deal with, since she was so involved in my life. But she lived such a full life in her 89 years.

5. What places did you visit? Nowhere in particular, other than to visit family. We took the kids on an overnight excursion in March to a water park, but otherwise we just stayed local.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? Energy. I don't know if it's the cold-weather blues, but I have been lacking in energy. I'm hoping to get back into an exercise regime so that maybe that can boost my energy level.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Other than my great-aunt's passing, the day that Riley started kindergarten was August 21. And the day she lost her first tooth: Christmas!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? That I learned how to make jelly. And that I survived Jeremy leaving the nest and me.

9. What was your biggest failure? Getting too stressed about things because I work too much. I don't give myself enough time off, and as a result I snap at people (i.e. Phil). We're trying to spend more time together, too, since after the kids go to bed is when I start working. He gets up early to go to work, and I'm such a night owl that it makes it difficult some times to connect.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? A few months ago I came down with a sinus infection, ear infection and bronchitis. Good times.

11. What was the best thing you bought? I can't think of anything in particular, but my parents bought the kids a tee so the kids can play T-ball. It's a lifesaver in the summer because both kids can hit line drives if you pitch to them. Both Phil and I suffered bruises over the summer from playing ball with those kids!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Jeremy for finally getting potty trained. Riley for excelling in school and learning how to ride a bike on her own in 2 days. Phil for tolerating me and buying me ice cream to cheer me up. And me for holding the family together and keeping the kids alive.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Going to plead the fifth here, but those who know me well know the answer.

14. Where did most of your money go? New appliances. Our house is about 15 years old, so we're slowly replacing the appliances. 2009 was the year of the hot water heater and refrigerator. It was going to be the washing machine, too, but we're waiting for the appliance rebates to hit in April.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Attending Jeremy Roenick night at the Blackhawks game.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009? "I've Got a Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Happier overall.

b) thinner or fatter? About the same. Still have about 10 lbs I'd like to lose, but I'm still skinner than when I was pregnant with Riley.

c) richer or poorer? Richer. We were smart and are paying 1/4 of our mortgage every week, so we're making an entire mortgage payment extra per year. Plus we're saving on interest each week. I just wish the market was better and we could refinance, but at least we have a home.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Chilled out in general. Gotten massages since they are pure heaven. If we had the money, I'd go more often. I wish I'd taken more time for myself, whether it's have dinner with girlfriends, spent the night at my parents or taken Phil up his offer to go chill and he'll take care of the kids. Gone on overnight excursions with or without the kids.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Stressed out. I get so stressed about things that sometimes I forget that there are two adults in this house. I don't need to take on the world.

20. How did you spend Christmas in 2009? We went to BIL's the weekend before Christmas. We spent Christmas day with my parents and spoke to my brother and SIL. It was a perfect celebration and we had a delicious meal prepared by Phil. And then Sunday we're going to the ILs.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009? I didn't fall in love, but I'm still in love with everyone in my family, especially my husband. As my mom would say, I may not like what you do sometimes, but I will always love you. And that's how I feel.

22. What was your favorite TV program? We've been watching Community with Joel McHale. He's hilarious and not an episode passes where we don't bust out laughing.

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2009? Nothing in particular, that I can remember. How sad is that?

24. What was the best book you read? The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. Total tear-jerker. I just wish they weren't making a movie about it with Miley Cyrus. Still Alice by Lisa Genova was an excellent book, too.

25. What did you want and get? I lost two freelancing gigs earlier this year, both with no notice. I located another gig on craigslist, of all places, and it's turned out to be rather profitable. I was worried that I'd have a hard time committing to 15 hours per week (that's the minimum), but for the most part it's been doable. Let's see, though, when I try to take time for myself and my marriage!

26. What did you want and not get? A bountiful garden. This crappy summer was not good for the produce. My tomatoes suffered tremendously. The peas enjoyed the cool weather. And the stupid Japanese beetles infested my raspberries and green beans. Ugh! And I didn't get my front-loading washing machine, but that was my doing. We're waiting for the rebate.

27. What was your favorite film of this year? We didn't go see any movies in the theater (second year in a row), but I did enjoy The Hangover. Total stupid humor, but I thought it was funny. And I was enjoying Up, until we had to return it to the library, and I didn't get a chance to finish it!

28. Did you make some new friends this year? I made stronger bonds with people I already knew of but didn't know well.

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? To not be so worried about our finances.

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Total casual. I could care less about fashion.

31. What kept you sane? Immersing myself in a good book, catching up on my DVR with a large M&M Blizzard.

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Rob Thomas still makes me swoon. And he came out with a new CD, which of course is awesome. But my recent heartthrob is Patrick Sharp of the Blackhawks. Which reminds me, Jeremy announced the other day that his favorite Blackhawk is Patrick Sharp because, "He's hot." Oops.

33. What political issue stirred you the most? Any kind of publicity given to Sarah Palin. Seriously, she's giving women a bad name.

34. Who did you miss? D and Casey.

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. Just as my blog says, there are days I have to remind myself that I will miss the fighting and the way the kids talk to each other. Then they laugh and play so well together and it makes my heart melt to know that right now they're each other's best friends. Kids don't stay little very long. We spend so long wanting them to grow up, to do things on their own, but when they do, you mourn the change because it means they need you that much less. Time flies by, and I'm just trying to make it stand still just a little bit longer.

Here's to 2010. Hope your year was as good as mine. Thanks for reading along.

1 comment:

C and D said...

Darcie- it was very special to read that entry. Overall, it was so positive, and it sounds like you guys are on a steady incline! I expecially loved the last answer. You are so sentimental! Thank you for sharing (oh, and I love how Jeremy is picking favorites based on looks! Uncle D will be so proud!) Love, Casey