Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hockey Days

I hope everyone has gotten a chance to see Jeremy recite the Blackhawk players. Seriously, this kid is like Rainman. And for those who follow the 'Hawks as religiously as we do, one of the players returned to the ice this past week after being out for the whole season. Jeremy and I played hockey outside the day after Adam Burish returned to the ice, and Jeremy kept saying that he was number 37. I wish I had a memory like my son.

With the weather being so pleasant, Jeremy and I have enjoyed many hours already this week being outside. He can ride his 2-wheeler so well, that he insists I put on my "exercise" shoes to go for walks with him. And we pulled the hockey net out and dusted off his hockey stick and now practice his slapshots. Uncle D would be proud.

So when we play hockey, one of us has to be the Blackhawks and the other is the Yuckies (AKA, the Redwings, who Jeremy doesn't know the team name to this day since they'll forever be the Yuckies in our house). And then if you're the Blackhawks, you have to pick which player you are. Jeremy tends to be Kane or he was Burish this week. And I need to brush up on my Detroit players, since Jeremy insists that Detroit be represented.

I usually end up being the ball shagger, and I warn Jeremy that I'm going to throw them to him underhand. He said it's a good thing I don't throw them uppercase since that might hurt. Uppercase. Cute, kid.

Uncle D better be prepared when he returns, since Jeremy's been working on his slapshot. We're starting them young around here.

1 comment:

C and D said...

As Casey gave me a hockey stick for Christmas, I myself have been practicing religiously in our longish apartment some shots of my own. Prepare to have Jeremy shag the balls from the back of the net this year as the Oilers defy logic and mathematical possibility and beat the Wings to the 8th seed in a first round match-up both in a pretend game and in real life!