Monday, March 8, 2010

Moms

I've been feeling rather reflective as of late. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's due to my impending birthday. Maybe it's due to Jeremy's birthday. Maybe it's just my mind continually running.

I look at the kids and realize they have their entire lives ahead of them. Whatever they want to be or do, it's entirely possible. That's pretty darn cool to think about. Yet it's also a little scary. Why? Because as parents, we have the ability to control or put limits on those dreams.

I became entirely wrapped up in the Winter Olympics this year. I think it's because this was the first time I was home during the day and was able to listen to athletes' stories about how they got into the crazy sport of snowboarding. Or how their parents would drive them 1.5 hours away just to practice ice skating. That takes dedication. And money. And time. And perseverance. I'm not saying we don't have these factors available to us. But that's a lot to ask.

And I would do almost absolutely anything for my kids. I've been hesitant to enroll Jeremy into ice skating/hockey because most sessions are early in the morning on Saturdays. And for those who know me, I am SO not a morning person. Never have been. And now that I'm freelancing, I work in the evening after the kids go to bed until I can't stare at the computer screen anymore. Now I know there are two parents in this house, and I know Phil wouldn't complain as much as I would about the early-morning sessions, but I just feel like I should be there.

I blame all those Olympic commercials from P&G that said, "Thanks, mom." They made me misty-eyed almost every time.

Not that either kid desires to become an Olympian, but you never know. I've already told the kids that they better not forget about me when they go on to bigger and better things. After all, we'll be the ones who paved the way. Whatever way that may be.


No comments: