Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Getting Our Kicks


Riley started soccer last night, and as a proud parent (and former soccer player), I was beaming. She was a little hesitant, since there are boys and girls on the team (Sidenote: the coach thought looking at her name that she was a boy. And so it begins...). They did 1/2 hour of practice and another 1/2 hour of an unorganized game.

The coaches are great, and her team, the Sharks, seems to play well together. When they started the game, I laughed because Riley played defense, my old position. And I laughed even harder because she tended to stay back toward the goal, just like her Mom. She ran to the sidelines at one point, and I asked her if she's tired. "No, Mom, I'm just tired of running."

Then I realized I was turning into a soccer mom. I was yelling at her to go toward the ball. Even Jeremy started yelling, "Get the ball, I-ree." Yeah, I think I was the only parent demanding my child play. I need to remember that she's only 4. But I think this will be a great starting point for whatever she chooses to do. Just not cheerleading.


Doing stretches


Lining up to shoot.


Playing defense like her Mom.


Successful completion to first day.

No comments: