Friday, August 29, 2008

Saying Good-bye


I think the Muppets said it the best:

Saying good-bye, going away
Seems like good-bye's such a hard thing to say.
Touching a hand, wondering why.

It's time for saying good-bye.

Saying good-bye, why is it sad?
Makes us remember the good times we've had.
Much more to say, foolish to try
It's time for saying good-bye.

Don't want to leave, but we both know
Sometimes it's better to go.
Somehow I know, we'll meet again.

Not sure quite where, and I don't know just when.
You're in my heart, so until then.
Wanna smile, wanna cry
Saying good-bye.


Uncle D and Casey left yesterday for their adventures in teaching in Lebanon. We knew this day was coming, but it still doesn't make it easier. Seems like we say good-bye to Uncle D quite often, but we know this is what they both want to do. And how can we deny that?

I've come to accept that they're at different stages in their lives: they're wanting to change the world, doing all they can. What an awesome feeling that must be. And to do it together, with each other's soul mates is a beautiful thing.

Whenever I say good-bye to my little brother, it hurts. He's my little brother. The one I used to scare the crap out of whenever he'd come home from school and I'd hide behind the door. The same kid who was forced to live in my shadow for so many years. And once he went off to college, he came out of his shell, exposing this caring, compassionate man who captures the hearts of all he encounters.

And now he and Casey are off to share that compassion for teaching those less fortunate. I have no doubt they will succeed. And they're doing it together. That makes me feel better.

But it still brings a lump to my throat. Because they're family. And not having them nearby hurts. I never thought there would be a day when I'd miss that pesky brother of mine. But seeing the man he's become, the uncle he is to my kids, the husband he is to my new sister-in-law, makes me proud. Proud to be his sister. And having someone there, beside him, to protect and love my little brother helps.

I just hope someday that they'll decide to stick around the United States for a bit. You know, for my kids. Oh, who am I kidding. I hope they can just to appease me. So until then, it's time for saying good-bye.

So happy together.

No comments: