Friday, September 11, 2009

8 Years

So last month (yes, I'm STILL that far behind!), we celebrated our eight-year anniversary. Exactly one month ago. Crazy how time flies.

Reciting our vows on Aug. 11, 2001.

Us eight years later.

I had joked when Derek arrived that he owes me a year's worth of babysitting, and surprisingly, it was his idea that Phil and I spend our anniversary together and he (along with Casey) would watch the kids.

Our anniversary turned out to be on a Tuesday this year, so Phil asked if he could switch his at-home day from Tuesday to Wednesday, because I wanted to meet him downtown for part of our "date" day. And, believe it or not, this was the first anniversary where we actually had plans, other than, say, dinner and a movie.

Since Phil was already downtown, I dropped the kids off at Mom and Dad's with D and Casey, and then I walked to the train station. It was so odd being on the train by myself and having a chance to read with peace and quiet. I walked over to his office and then we went to lunch at the House of Blues.

Then we walked over to where the architectural boat tour was happening. Only to find out that the next boat was leaving at 3:00--the 1:30 one was full. Drat.

So what did we decide to do? We hoofed it over to Navy Pier. For those who aren't familiar with downtown, it was far. Very far. But we prevailed. And we secured a seat on an official architectural boat tour.


We had a wonderful time listening to the guide talk about the city's buildings. It was 1.5 hours and the weather was perfect. I enjoyed many of the boat's delicious free chocolate chip cookies, which Phil so graciously brought to me.

Here are some photos from our tour:













Afterward, we succumbed and took a cab back to his office to pick up his bag. We boarded separate trains since I needed to get back to Park Ridge to get the kids while Phil took an express one to Cary. We did meet up with home, and all in all, it was a perfectly wonderful day.

Even if it happened a month ago.

No comments: