Thursday, August 26, 2010

First Day of First Grade

Riley started school this week, and I think the adjustment has been the hardest on me, if I can say so. I forgot how much she actually played and entertained her brother, and now I'm stuck being his main source of entertainment. It's tiring! But the little guy starts school next week, so all is not lost. And yes, I am aware that I will miss this someday (that would be an awesome name for a blog...).

Phil was able to switch his work-at-home day to Wednesday (he's normally home on Thursdays), so he made a delicious breakfast of chocolate chip waffles. Then we snapped some family tradition-laced pictures on our front stoop. I'm glad we all got a chance to be in the pictures for once!

We met up with some friends at the bus stop, and the kids were off to school. We had met Riley's teacher a few days prior when they had an open house. The kids were able to bring in all their school supplies (seriously, why didn't they do that when we were younger?!), and meet the teacher. She actually has her own desk this year, and three boys from her kindy class were in her class along with her old soccer coach's son.

I opted against driving to the school and taking pictures in the classroom. I didn't do it last year (which is the minority, from what I've heard), but I figure she doesn't need me to get in the way of finding her own way around. I'm hoping there'll be enough time to volunteer my scissor-cutting expertise or whatever else her teacher may need me for. And I vow to have a few lunches with her at school--something I didn't get a chance to do last year. Riley is already looking forward to Uncle D's visit to the school.

My parents started this tradition of the poster board with me.

The kids.

Riley and Mom.

Riley and Dad.

At the bus stop.

Hanging out with one of her best friends.

And just to show how much she's changed: last year's picture.
Where did my little girl go?


No comments: