Saturday, April 25, 2009

Kindergarten Orientation

Earlier this month we had kindergarten orientation at Riley's soon-to-be elementary school. We were lucky enough to have some neighbors watch the kids so Phil and I could go to the school and hear what the kindergarten program is all about.

We learned there are about 1,100 children in the entire school, and that is only for K-2! There are roughly 375 kindergartners in the school. That's a long way from my two kindergarten classes in my elementary school! It's going to be a real wake-up call, that's for sure.

The entire district is all-day kindergarten, although they do offered half-day sessions. But those who choose half-day just miss out on the full-day activities. There is no specialized half-day program. I feel comfortable having Riley attend all-day classes, mainly because she'll be one of the older kids in the class, and I feel that she's just ready. She has stopped napping and is bored oftentimes at home (yeah, let the fun times begin this summer!).

Lunchtime is 40 minutes long, with the kids going outside to play after they finish their lunch. They don't do recess; instead, kids have PE 5x a week, as well as art 2x and the library/computer lab 1x a week. They also get snacktime and there are drinking fountains in every room.

The school days at her school are 9:00-3:55 and with the bus system, she'll get home about 4:15. She has an open house on Aug. 19 where she can bring in all her school supplies (that reminds me of growing up!), and then her first day is Aug. 21. Why they have the kids start on a Friday is beyond me!

I'm looking forward to seeing if any of her preschool friends will be in the same class. We won't find out for awhile, but I sure hope so. It's going to be a lot for all of us to adjust to, but I have a feeling we'll do just fine.

But when Jeremy starts preschool in the fall, that's a different story!

No comments: