Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thinking Good Thoughts

We received word last night that my 92-year-old grandpa suffered a minor stroke. He's coherent and can walk fine, but his vision isn't as strong as it should be. He's currently in the hospital, and they're hoping he can go home on Friday. We're heading down to see him and some of my mom's side on Sunday for Easter, and I'm hoping he'll be able to join the festivities.

I sometimes take for granted that he's around, which I know I shouldn't. He's my last surviving grandparent, which is tough, but I'm grateful that he's so prevalent in my kids' lives. Riley and Jeremy both know who he is, and Jeremy even talked to him on his birthday. I hope Grandpa is doing well and will be strong enough on Sunday.

I know it's been a tough start to the month for him as on April 4 it was five years since Grandma passed. For those who don't know, I was due with Jeremy on April 5, 2006 (4/5/06, how cool is that?!), which was a day after Grandma's passing anniversary. If Jeremy was a girl (we didn't find out beforehand what the gender was), the middle name was going to be Susan after my grandma.

Keep fighting, Grandpa. We love you.

Grandpa and the kids at Christmas this year.

1 comment:

Holli said...

I am thinking those good thoughts for you. No matter how old (or not) they are, I think we are all lucky when we have our grandparents. I hope your grandpa makes a quick recovery.