Friday, April 3, 2009

Oh Happy Day

Someone else in the house had a birthday this week, and contrary to what Riley claims, I did not turn 44. (I liked it much better last year when she told people her mom was 2 and 3. Far be it for me to correct her!) Anyway, I fondly recalled a birthday nine years ago.

Phil and I spent the day downtown, eating a delicious lunch and then capping it off with a walk to Buckingham Fountain. That's where he got down on one knee and proposed. This picture was taken right after.

It seems so long ago.

I tease him to this day that he took the easy way out by proposing on my birthday. That way he didn't have to buy me a birthday present since the ring was my gift.

I kid.

Things have changed over the years. We got married, moved into a townhouse, had Riley, moved into our house, and then added Jeremy to the family. Throughout it all, he claims that I am the rock of the family. I am what holds us together.

But without him, and his ability to know when I need a break, when I need to be pampered, I would be a shell of what I am today.

For my birthday yesterday, he took the day off, scheduled an 80-minute massage at my most favorite spa (and for the record, I am SO not a girly-girl, but when it comes to the spa, I could live there), and told me to enjoy my day. And I did--after we took both kids to the pediatrician, though. Jeremy was scheduled for his three-year appointment and Riley had two leftover shots she needed. Turns out both kids have ear infections, and Riley has a double EI. Her one ear was blistering. Poor girl. That explains why she whined all during the night and I slept in her bed with her. So now they're both on antibiotics.

Anyway, the spa was heaven. I even enjoyed a steam and shower afterward. And a free makup application to my eyes and lips. I then ventured to the library without children. That was so nice, too.

The evening was capped off with Chinese takeout, a buy one get one free Blizzard from DQ and watching Lost on the DVR. All in all it was a decent day.

And the previous day saw a package arrive from Amazon.com from my brother and his wife all they way in Lebanon. It was so thoughtful. And Derek passed along a link from a recent study about having a sister. Nice timing that it was published on my birthday! I should ask him if he feels that way. He called the day before to wish Jeremy a belated birthday and to wish me an early birthday. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Now it's on to Jeremy's birthday party tomorrow!

1 comment:

mikedawnsnelgrove said...

Oh Happy Birthday Friend...sorry I didn't call you - I'll have to give you the opera version live tomorrow!