Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Year in Review

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before? I came to peace about only having two kids. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is. I'm trying to look at it as a good thing, but it's still hard sometimes. On a lighter note, I took the kids to the zoo by myself, which is something I didn't think I could handle.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't keep them, but I want to do a better job of staying in shape. I feel like a lazy bum some days, and I'd love to be more physically fit.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Good friends of ours adopted a little boy who was born in March.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes. Someone I used to work with and drove to work a few times passed away this fall. And one of my best friends lost her little baby when she was only 8 months pregnant.
5. What places did you visit? Nowhere fancy. We made it up to Wisconsin to visit my cousin, otherwise we kept to the state.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? Serenity. The ability to not think the worst in some situations. More patience. Being able to live in the moment.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? June 9 is when the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. November 4 is when my friend lost her baby.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? One car is entirely paid off with the other not far behind. We've really stuck to our budgeting, thanks in part to a 13-week financial class I took early last year.
9. What was your biggest failure? Amazingly, I’m grasping to try and pinpoint anything I’d really consider a failure.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope (knocking on wood).
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our front-loading washing machine. I love it, as much as someone can love an appliance.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Most people I came in contact with. The kids for showing me the fun in everyday activities. The husband for going above and beyond making my life easier. The parents for being my sounding board. My friends for being there for me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Our one neighbor for her lack of parenting abilities. And anything involving Sarah Palin.
14. Where did most of your money go? The mortgage. And hockey for Jeremy!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Christmas this year, because we were finally able to provide for so many this year. That and how excited and proud the kids get when they talk about church. The Blackhawks playoff run this spring into summer. And getting Jeremy involved in hockey. He only started skating in June and has moved up to level 2 of hockey already!
16. What song will always remind you of 2010? Anything by Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. The kids love singing their songs.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier. It's been a relatively good year.
b) thinner or fatter? Probably a little fatter due to the overindulgence of Dairy Queen (not that I'm complaining...)
c) richer or poorer? Richer. We've done a great job at keeping track of finances and the second car will be paid off in just a few months!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? I would have loved to have gone on vacation, but we didn't have the money for it last year. I also wish I would've spent more time enjoying the moment instead of freaking out about what might happen.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Overreacting.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2010? We actually had four Christmas celebrations--the first was with Phil's brother and family, followed by Phil's parents, then my extended family's celebration at my grandpa's and then my parents came over to do Christmas with them combined with our little family's. It was extensive and a tad exhausting, but it fulfilled everyone's wishes to spend a part of Christmas together.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010? No, but I stayed in love.
22. What was your favorite TV programModern Family and Community. Most things on Bravo, especially Top Chef and all its spin-offs. And all Blackhawks games and hockey in general.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2010? The only really big thing I remembered is that I got Chinese food and one of our cats escaped from the house and we couldn't find her for an hour. I remember that because I thought how crappy would it be to lose our cat on my b-day! I also received a Patrick Kane T-shirt and a hockey stick, so Jeremy and I could play hockey in the driveway together.
24. What was the best book you read? There were three that stood out One Day, Winter Garden and Every Last One. All were great in their own ways and two of the three made me cry.
25. What did you want and get? I really wanted the new Blackhawk's book for Christmas, and my husband got it for me. Yea!
26. What did you want and not get? An MP3 player. That's OK, though.
27. What was your favorite film of this year? Toy Story 3. We took J to see his first movie in the theater, and he did pretty well, but he did keep asking toward the end if it was almost over! It didn't hurt that the movie was so touching and made me cry.
28. Did you make some new friends this year? Yes, some parents of kids in J's preschool class and his hockey class.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Having more time to spend with C+D.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? Comfortable. Not caring. :)
31. What kept you sane? Get togethers with girlfriends. One of my best girlfriends from grade school and I try to get together once a month, and we've done a decent job at sticking with it. It's nice to get out and commiserate about husbands, kids, school, and life in general.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Patrick Sharp. And he's totally hotter in person!
33. What political issue stirred you the most? Most issues involving gay rights.
34. Who did you miss? C+D. I wish we all lived closer and could celebrate holidays and birthdays together.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. Sometimes it hurts to let go. But holding on even tighter isn't always the best solution.

No comments: