Monday, March 23, 2009

Blackhawks Game

For Christmas, Phil surprised me with tickets to a Blackhawks game. After much teasing, I decided to take him with me, if not for the company but for the fact I wouldn't have to drive. I kid. It was a horribly rainy/gross day, but Papa and Nana were going to look after the kids while we headed into the city.

The game was scheduled for Sunday, March 8, at 2:00 p.m. IIt was a tumultuous trip to Park Ridge, since in the middle of the rain and trip, Jeremy proclaimed he needed to go potty. We stopped at Woodfield Mall, located a parking spot, and I grabbed both kids to use the bathroom. Wouldn't you know that Jeremy suddenly declared he didn't need to go?! Ugh. Then we missed the exit to my parents' due to new construction barriers, sending us a few miles out of the way. We finally arrived close to 40 minutes after we had hoped, but we were all in one piece.

We had a delicious lunch, and then Phil and I headed to the Hawks game. To say it was pouring would be an understatement. I believe I saw a few dogs and cats falling from the sky at one point. We parked in the official lot ($16 later...) and ran into the building. We were drenched! Wet jeans are no fun.

We found our seats and watched the teams warm up. We had decent seats, and we were hoping for an exciting game.

The Hawks come out from the locker room.

Warming up before the game.

The infamous Indian head.

Our hopes were dashed quickly after the game started. The Hawks were down 2-0 after the end of the first period. Toews scored a nice goal in the second to bring the team within one and it seemed to boost the crowd. But when it was all said and done, Colorado won 5-1. There were even boo-birds out in full effect before the game ended. It was a very sad game, especially since the team had done so well for most of the season. I think some media members dubbed it the worst game of the season. Nice that we could be there for it!

To cap off the afternoon, I ended up getting us lost on the way back to my parents'. Sad, really, because I grew up 15 minutes from Chicago all my life and cannot find my way back to Park Ridge. What's even funnier, though, is that I called my parents and told them where we were, and they had no idea how to help us. It's times like that we miss Uncle D, who can navigate anywhere in Chicago!

We made it back, had yummy take-out pizza for dinner, loaded up the kids (who were a bit of a handful), and headed back home. Of course both kids passed out on the way home. I'm not sure who wore each other out more: the grandkids or Papa/Nana!

No comments: