Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Children's Bouquet

This past weekend was crazy. Crazy as in neverending rain crazy. We broke a record on Saturday with more than 6 inches of rain. In one day. Roads flooded near Chicago, my parents' basement got flooded (although, if it rains minimally, they get water seepage), and it made for an all-around crappy weekend.

What did the weekend teach me? It made me realize how much my kids are outside. And how they need to be outside. They were running around in circles (literally) at one point in the master bedroom, until they bumped heads and that was the end of that.

Being inside all weekend made me dread winter even more. Those who know me know how much I hate cold weather. I could go year-round wearing shorts. The minute it snows, a little part of me cries. But for the sake of the kids, I do bundle us all up and head out in the frigid temperatures. I just don't enjoy it.

So Monday, being the first rain-free day in three days, the kids and I went for a walk. They were disappointed to know we couldn't head to the park (it was still wet from all the rain and dew), but I told them we could go for a nice long walk.

Riley wanted to be in the wagon, Jeremy insisted on using the Princess scooter (don't ask). Along the way they encountered dandelions, also known as the perfect flower for a kid. Our walk turned into an extended affair due to the numerous stops to pick flowers for "Mommy." How could I resist?

All it took to make them happy was to present me with flowers. And as I walked with them, I thought about asking them to move a little faster so we could get home. But then I thought why would I want to do something like? What's my hurry? Why do I need to get home since they've been cooped up inside all weekend. What's making them content is to pick what I would call a weed. So I let them. And this is the end result (sorry it's a little blurry--I didn't realize that until later):

2 comments:

mikedawnsnelgrove said...

I'll gladly take them out and play in the snow if you take mine out in the blasting heat of summer! I mean, what are friends for?

Darcy said...

You're on! :)