Monday, September 8, 2008

Party Time

The kids and I headed to Bloomington on Saturday for cousin Ethan's third birthday party. Phil called me from work on Friday, muttering some words no wife wants to hear: "I think I'm getting sick." So Saturday I insisted he stay home, and I loaded up the kids for the three-hour drive. We packed a lunch to eat on the road, and off we went.

The kids were great for the first hour, and then we stopped at a rest stop. They were on their best behavior, holding hands while walking to the building for a pit stop. A few people commented at how cute they were. Yeah, if they only knew!

After lunch, we jammed ourselves back into the minivan, and we headed to great-grandpa's. We planned to stop there on our way down just to say hi. Luckily the kids napped for about an hour until we got there.

Turns out, great-grandpa wasn't there. He had told us before: "If I'm here, I'm here. If I'm not, I'm not." For 91, he's pretty accurate. We left him a note and then headed on the rest of our journey.

The kids were holy terrors the half-hour we still had to drive. I think getting out of the car both times made them antsy to get out for good. They were just aggravating each other (and me!), so when we finally arrived, we all practically ran out of the car.

Ethan's big present was a rental of an inflatable bouncy contraption, that all the kids (and Kevin) seemed to enjoy. The kids had fun running around, playing on bikes, trying to hit candy out of the monster truck pinata, and eating cake and ice cream.

Ethan, Riley and Jeremy bouncing around.

Aiming for the pinata while Uncle Kevin looks on.

Riley takes a swing.

We headed back home around 6:30, and I thought for sure the kids would be exhausted from all the activity. Nope. Riley fell asleep about 45 minutes from home, and Jeremy lasted until 30 minutes from home. I spent numerous conversations with them trying to get them to settle down, but it fell on deaf ears. We pulled into the driveway at a little after 9. Another birthday celebration over.

Oh, and Phil is feeling better. I still told him he owes me, even though he had a decent excuse.

All the cousins: Riley, Ethan (holding Caden), and Jeremy.

No comments: