Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of Preschool


Today was Riley's first day of her second year of preschool. Does that make sense? She's in the fours classroom, since she misses the cutoff for kindergarten this year. She needed to be 5 by September 1.

She's at the same school she attended last year, which is wonderful seeing as she has a lot of familiar faces. I went to the orientation last week to meet the new teachers (Ms. Betty and Ms. Gay), and to get acclimated with the new room. I have no doubt Riley will succeed and thrive there.

This morning started off with baby chocolate chip pancakes a la Dad. Phil works from home on Tuesdays, so this was a special treat. She gobbled them up, and then asked me to pick out a few outfits for her to choose from. The picture above shows her choice.

The four of us took her to school, signed her in, and the minute the teachers opened the door, she gave us big hugs and was off. Just like that. No looking back. No sad faces. She was just gone.

Jeremy and I hung out while Phil worked, and I admit that it was sad not having Riley around. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was lamenting about what on earth I was going to do all summer with the kids at home!

J and I picked Riley up (she asked where Dad was, and I reassured her that he was waiting for her at home), and she was just so excited to tell us about her day. She waited until she got home to tell everyone at the same time and show us her drawings. I'm so proud of her. It's hard to believe she'll soon be in kindergarten. But I think I'll be more of a mess when Jeremy starts preschool!

2 comments:

C and D said...

Darce-
First of all, you are such a beautiful writer. Second of all, thank you for all the kind things you said about Derek and me. Third of all- seriously, Riley looks so old in that "first day of her second year of preschool" picture (which does make sense!) Thank you so much for keeping this blog. It will be a great way to keep up to date with your crazy, but completely lovable, children. Yes, D and I arrived safely in Beirut and we are taking this morning to just chill after all the chaos we've endured over the past few weeks (months, actually.) So far, so good. I'll keep you posted!!!!! With love and peace, Casey

Darcy said...

Thanks for the compliments. To think this blog started simply because I didn't want to do work! And you know I mean every word I say about you guys. WE are the lucky ones to have you as part of our family. I'm glad you both got to Beirut safely, and I'll try to keep this place up-to-date so you guys can see the chaos that involves life with your niece and nephew. We love you.