Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Week, Complete

Riley finished her first week of school on Friday. She had a great week, reporting that they had graham crackers for snack one day, and pretzels another. The kid can't remember what else she did, but she rarely forgets a snack. The highlight of her week was our arrival on Wednesday, in which we saw a two-to-three-foot turtle crossing the road right by school! It was quite the sight.

Another highlight was one of the moms approaching me on Friday and asking if I was Riley's mom. I told her I was, and she said her daughter asked her to put three ponytails in her hair for school, "just like Riley's." I laughed because Riley gave me three rubber bands on Wednesday to put in her hair, so I gave her pigtails near the top of her head, and then I grabbed the rest of her hair and threw it into a ponytail. I figured there are bigger battles to fight. Apparently we've made a mark.

J and I have gotten back into our rhythm of just the two of us. We spent Tuesday going for a walk and to the park, Wednesday at the Parent/Tot center and Friday going to garage sales. He gets almost as excited as his Mama whenever we run across a bargain. I did score on some clothes for the kids on Friday--picked up Riley a brand-new, tags-still-attached swimsuit for next year, and some larger-size sweatshirts and sweaters for her. The J man got a Boston Red Sox shirt, which Phil gave me a hard time about purchasing. Yes, we're still a White Sox family, but Boston will always be near and dear.

And below is a picture Riley drew on her first day of school. I'd say her drawings are becoming more legible. Reminds me of the pictures Derek drew with his people always having belly buttons.

Dad is at the top left, followed by Fiona (kitty),
Jeremy, mom, and Riley at the bottom.